Slow Travel in 2019

Sharing is caring!

slow travel

If I had to pick one travel resolution for 2019 it would be to travel s-l-o-w and slower than ever. And in the time-honoured tradition of new year resolutions, I did break it before the first week was up. In my defence, I was travelling in a blogger/photographer group (Ambassadors of Bodoland) on an ambitious schedule. We had a busy week exploring Bodoland (an autonomous territory in the north-east of India) and then I continued on a solo trip to Assam’s disappearing island Majuli. A trip rich with laughter, cultural immersions, elephants, bonfires, new friends and local rice beer brewed in imaginative ways. If you’ve been following my stories and posts on Instagram (@namita_nefarious), you’ve had a fun peek into these rather unexplored villages, and it’s been fun sharing that with you. More on these places in future blogposts.

I painted this with the idea of hanging it up in my living room in place of a clock. And so it stands, reminding me between all my time-chasing that there might be a way to live beyond the tyranny of deadlines and races. Like Swamini Vimalananda said to the Americans decades ago (though it applies just as well this side of the pond) – “In this country you wear your god on your wrist.” A god one hopes to dethrone for good someday. And as I like to remind people in my Yoga classes – Go no faster than you can feel.

There’s been a slow shift from the consumerism style of travel of collecting countries to immersive community-minded travel in lesser known pockets of the world where cellphones have nothing to do. Do you have any travel resolutions for 2019? Has your approach to travel shifted over the years or are there shifts you’d like to see? Drop me a line at namitayoga@gmail.com or let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you 🙂

You may also like...

13 Responses

1. Alexx says:

Slow travel sounds like a great goal to have! Make sure you are experiencing all of the culture that you can!

2. Such a great reminder to focus on traveling slowly and immersing yourself in culture! Thanks for a great post and more inspiration to travel to India!

3. Angelica says:

I do think there’s a place for those fast paced trips (like your week in Bodoland sounds so memorable!) but I totally agree that there’s a shift in travel becoming less consumerist, which I love! How can people really “check off” a country if they don’t really get to know it? As for 2019 resolutions… mine is related, going back to two countries I’ve already been to and liked a lot because they just have so much to offer!

4. Kristin says:

Love this idea. Someday I’ll create a life where this is possible! Until then, gotta get it all in while I can 😉

5. Elizabeth says:

I’m a big proponent of slow travel. If possible I like to live or stay in a country for at least a few months so I get a feel of what it is like to be a local in that place. Sometimes people move around so quickly that they only see the tourist sights, which isn’t a good picture of the place overall. It is easy to burn out if your only goal is collecting countries too!

6. Shreya Saha says:

Slow travel is something I am looking forward to as well. I usually end up making my plan too busy and I never get the fun of slow travel. I wish to learn from you. Plus I want to add, I loved your previous blog on Bodoland.

7. Patti says:

I prefer slow travel rather than rushing around or country counting but my schedule has not yet allowed me to stay in any place more than a few weeks. Hopefully one day I can travel for months so I can experience countries more in depth.

8. Justine says:

It would be nice to travel slower but sometimes, we just don’t have the luxury of time. Life is short and sometimes, we really do just want to see it all! People are greedy like that. As for me, I don’t think I have any travel resolutions. My travels will be put on hold though as I am about to give birth to my travel buddy for life! I do hope to pass on my wanderlust to my mini-me!

9. Amelia says:

My goal for 2019 is to do one thing a month. It will mostly be local as I’m writing my thesis this year, but I want to make sure I’m still taking time outside of study to have adventures. We’re also hoping to be in Pakistan for a wedding towards the end of the year

10. Sage says:

Slow travel is the BEST! (But it can be hard to do in our fast-paced world, a full-time job, and other demands on every waking minute. Here’s to a fantastic 2019!

11. Diana says:

I totally understand about slow travel : taking your time. You really get a better understanding of people, the place the culture by really need the time. I can’t wait for my trip to Spain and Portugal because I’ll be able to really stay and visit.